buckleup2000

Yay or Nay? Household items as light shades?

Luke Buckle
9 years ago
Tea cups as pendant lamp shades is a cheeky twist on the upcycling idea of reclaiming items and adding some value.

What do you think of this as a design trick?
Electric Mavis Luminare · More Info
LOVE IT!
Yeah, nah.
I'm neutral.

Comments (23)

• Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    Very creative people out there, but i would've used these tea cups instead for small indoor plants on window sill.
  • grobby
    9 years ago
    Depends where they're used. They're a little quirky, but I like quirky. One of the prettiest pendant lights I've seen was made from a beat up looking wire basket and placed over an island. Good way to recycle.
  • Vega Maguire
    9 years ago
    Unique love it tho i would have trouble finding some were to put them
  • zweiback
    9 years ago
    The attached photo is more my cup of tea when it comes to quirky lighting!
  • User
    9 years ago
    A loud NO. Those are terrible. Probably could only use a tiny bulb, so the point would be what?
  • PRO
    Custom Craft Upholsterers, Inc.
    9 years ago
    It really depends on the overall interior of the house, the "tea" lights are cute.
  • Susan Shea
    9 years ago
    Depends on the surroundings. I can see those lights over a little table in a nook in a whimsical kitchen or over a coffee/tea station.
  • Susan Shea
    9 years ago
    Love the hat pendant lights. I have a small dressing room/walk-in closet; I think I'll use this idea there. Fun.
  • ashilleong
    9 years ago
    I like the hat light too -is there any way to save photos in comments to an idea book?
  • PRO
    Havven
    9 years ago
    It could work in a retail, boutique, cafe or bar... not in the everyday home.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Definitely my cup of tea. They take the biscuit.
  • User
    9 years ago
    :)
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    Good idea! Had not thought of that. Now on the hunt for unnusual tea cups and saucers...there are plenty around here in Op shops for a peeny or so. Hope this brilliant idea does not catch on here until I've had my pick! Thanks Luke! Are you always as clever?
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    @ Havven Am really curious to know what is your concept of "the everyday home"? ( Not being snarky) Trying to understand.
  • ladyrob1
    9 years ago
    Just received a message that one named Laura Kook commented:: " That picture looks stupid, hate it." UH? Where are you Laura Kook? What's to hate with such veehemence? Its just a bit of whimsy, never enough time in the day for a bit of the unnusual to shock us out of our complacency.
  • Emmeline T
    8 years ago

Very weird... never would have it.

• PRO
    Yours&MineOnline
    7 years ago

I love these - very much my cup of tea! There are many up-cycling & re-purposing ideas for teacups & more at Yours&MineOnline.

• moni45
    7 years ago

I could imagine them in a quirky cafe but would struggle with using in a house. Would definitely need the furniture to go with them.

7 years ago
    Yuk.
  • PRO
    Sydney Lighthouse
    7 years ago

Nice design! It would look better if it was upright though! :)

• PRO
    Nasseri Associates
    7 years ago

It is interesting and different to use in commercial or retail interior design but not for home.

• PRO
    Alliance Robes
    7 years ago

Long live quirky creativity!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.