jessegee

Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?

jessegee
9 years ago
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some things are staying like the chimney, and sink, but anything else can move around.
I'd love a table , and a new floor like smooth slate thats easy to clean, let your imagination sing!

Here's a load of before photos,

1 Front of our ground floor flat
2. parquet floor in the lounge,
3 victorian tile in the hallway.
4 floorplan

More photos to follow

Comments (1.5k)

• fissfiss
    9 years ago
    Got it! Hoping to hang it in kitchen, to remind feral visitors to shut the cupboard doors!
  • mefor
    9 years ago
    Woohoo!!! Fissfiss shoots, she scores!!!!!!!!!
    That's a great sign, hope you'll post a pic here for us to see once you get it and hang it up :)
  • Related Discussions

What would you do with this kitchen? Help!

Q

Comments (16)
    You need some kitchen accessories kettle etc that tie in with the red and also some artwork. The red you have chosen looks on my monitor to be a cool red, perhaps a bit of a warmer shade would help. i would also extend the dining area curtains down to the floor, they will cosy up the space, as would a statement rug to give a bit more life to the room. If your living room is green then it may be nice to have some token green of the same shade, somewhere in the kitchen, a plant or some artwork, and add a bit of the kitchen red to your living room, so that there is some continuity of colour in your home, as opposed to having two separate colour boxes and never the twain shall meet..
    ...See More

Desperately indecisive couple looking for advice on new kitchen/dining

Q

Comments (2)
    Where are you based? Would like to work on this project with you. Jade x
    ...See More

I want to update my kitchen by re-facing kitchen units and worktops

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks folks.. The unit doors are solid pine and the ceiling is red deal..( hope that's the correct spelling!) It's a cosy space but a little dark I think, if not too overbearing with all the wood..
    ...See More

Looking for flooring suggestions to compliment my kitchen tile

Q

Comments (0)
    We had a very nice porcelain tile laid in our kitchen. It looks like a distressed grey wood plank. We would like some suggestions as to what flooring we should use throughout the rest of the house. Carpet is not an option and the installer said that because of the way the current floor is installed, tile is really not an option either. The walls are light grey with purple accents. What do you feel would be the best look?
    ...See More
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Heehee fissfiss... cool!!! We definitely need photos when it's in place!
  • jessegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    yay! Congrats Fiss!!! Love to see a photo in situ?

Got a dilemma, desp need advice on tiling v panelling around sink/window area.

DH wants to tile with leftover grey tiles, but am not sure, we have kashmir splashback ........

I don't want to go too grey everywhere, but we do have rough plaster above splashback all around the kitchen. Should we tile above splashback, or take splashbacks off and tile all of it, gulp?

Help!
  • jessegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    forgot to say, we are painting the new window sill white, and prob have café shutters in window, and white painted panelling inside frame, and up wall above plug socket on left by panelled door/frame,
  • Victoria
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't have a splashback and would repair the plasterwork.
    jessegee thanked Victoria
  • jessegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    do you mean you wouldn't have tile, or wouldn't have Kashmir splashback?
  • Victoria
    9 years ago
    I'd leave the Kashmir in place and repair the plaster above it. I wouldn't tile.
    jessegee thanked Victoria
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Agree with Victoria. Leave the Kashmir splashback in place and repair the plasterwork would be my pref. choice too.
    jessegee thanked Carolina
  • mefor
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't tile it if you're going to do the expansion at some point, I agree with victoria, just fix plaster. If you want to tile the area above kashmir on the long wall with cabinets above, that would be okay, you could always redo the edge and continue it into new expansion if you buy a bit of extra tile now.
    jessegee thanked mefor
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    It's a very clean look at the moment...I would leave it as is.
    jessegee thanked fissfiss
  • jessegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Thank you star ladies, I see the sense in all of that, phew, tiles are going to come off, clean and repair :))))
  • jacksplash
    9 years ago
    Hi,your granite looks much the same as the one I put in my kitchen...I thought of doing tiles but nothing really worked with it,I'm kinda glad now because it looks much better on its own now that my kitchen is finished...good luck with your project,i think you have a lovely home.
    jessegee thanked jacksplash
  • jessegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you jacksplash, really kind of you to say so, and really helpful about the granite v tile etc. Now we have eliminated the tile its looking much cleaner and smarter, so I really see what you mean. Another weird thing was that the tiles looked a different colour outside the chimney, the Kashmir granite has a real personality of its own eh?
    Do you mind me asking what colours worked with yours?
  • jacksplash
    9 years ago
    Your welcome jessegee.Yes you are correct about the granite having a real personality of its own. Do you mean what wall colour worked with it,or what colour objects I put on the counter top?
  • jessegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I meant wall colour, but objects are interesting too!
  • jacksplash
    9 years ago
    My walls are painted in a colour called serpintine,it's from the little green company.
    My kitchen cabinets are a bleached oak though,and yours are white so I'm not sure if this will work for you.As to what I put on the counters,the granite didn't take to a lot of colour IMO.heres a photo of whats on mine, i have also included a photo of a piece I put on the wall above it.
  • jessegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That's lovely, I've noticed it likes green colours, I worried green would bring out an algae type look, as if it had been in a damp garden for years, but it doesn't at all, yours looks very clean, fresh, smart and natural. I notice you have a black hob too, it sits perfectly.
    Your lighting looks v good, we've had a job to find decent lighting, its either too big or stringy.
    I've been struggling to make my kashmir accept blue, and it does it parts where the natural texture is pale with more white or grey. Its dark in our kitchen, When I bought it, it was flat on a farmyard concrete ground, on a sunny day with a blue sky, perhaps I should've viewed it on grass on a cloudy day!

I notice it also likes burgundy/lilac/maroon, perhaps due to the natural speckles, that was not a colour scheme I was going for either!

At what point do you give up a " colour scheme" you like, in favour of what suits the key elements? Its like having a hairdo opposite to your natural style.
    You have managed it beautifully, thank you for the photos etc, its given me renewed faith that I didn't make a mistake buying it. :))

I don't want to stress DH by discussing a change of colour scheme, we have more work to finish first.

Just to keep my spirits up, I couldn't help rescuing this old chair, DH has wanted a pub chair for ages, I've half sanded it, needs repairs, and waxing. ( Trying to butter him up, Moi?)
  • jessegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I lost part of my comment to you jacksplash, I like how the Kashmir glows against wood and wood colours, it likes those very much, I noticed this with my chopping board. ( but I'm not sanding our cupboards back to wood for love nor money, lol!)
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    I think you both have beautiful kitchens, from what I can see of yours jacksplash. Love the wall colour you have.
    The chair looks like it's happy to be in your capable hands Jesse :-)
  • jessegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ah thanks Caro, it weighs a ton, I had quite a job to get it on the car roof.
    It seems worth saving. Someone had done a botch job trying to wood glue two big cracks together, and nailed a piece of wood to the underside without trimming it off, then gave up and left it outside ( not for very long luckily)
    I can only improve it :))
  • jacksplash
    9 years ago
    I think the granite looks great with your kitchen.My island is white and it goes really well with also. I'm eager to see what you do with your chair,you are both so gifted.
    Good luck with all.
  • mefor
    9 years ago
    Jesse, an auto body type filler will work better at joining/filling cracks in wood. Usually a two part epoxy type thing, with fiberglass in it. As opposed to a regular caulk which will just split and show a crack on either side of the caulk. We have something here called Bondo. Think there's different things there like Isopon or P38 or something like that. Maybe google something like that to find out what's available and how to use it in wood crack repair. It does smell atrocious, so do it outside :)
    jessegee thanked mefor
  • mefor
    9 years ago
    I'm assuming you're going to paint the chair to cover repairs, probably won't work with wood stain unless you use a gel stain.
    jessegee thanked mefor
  • jessegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That's a great idea mefor, dh will know about that kind of stuff, and I'll look it up, thanks x
    I had thought of sanding it, and leaving it wood, or part painted.
    DH says the back rail is uncomfortable, right over kidneys when sitting, so there is scope change.
    Adequate padding might be too bulky , carving a slight scoop or adding a small plate shape rest..........I'll get it sanded first then see what it looks like :)))
  • jessegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Its sanded roughly, and exposed where the problems are, DH thinks we can put a metal plate under the back rail where its broken, it has one already.
    For now I have thrown a rug over it, and I'll have another look next weekend:))
  • jessegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • jessegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    apologies, internet poor, and photos not loading !
  • jessegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Lovely throw. Does a good job :-)
  • jessegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    .we did some more panelling at the weekend, got rid of tiles by kitchen window, made good the wall, and panelled the window frame inside.
    Panelled the mantle, but still have to finish the side bits, and side detail you suggested Caro, dh has jig saw now.
  • jessegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Needs a few more coats of paint!
  • mefor
    9 years ago
    Looking good, the panels are lovely, really finishes things nicely. Are you completely safe from leaks now?
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Looking good!!!
  • Victoria
    9 years ago
    Loving my mantel panels :-))
  • sunnie2day
    9 years ago
    Instead of giving up drinking for January (we don't drink) we gave up the Internet (ouchie-ouchie-ouchie!) so this is the first chance I've had to catch up with your kitchen, Jesse. It looks great, I love the panels, and the tile over the cooker, and the view from your kitchen sink:)
  • clutteredval
    9 years ago
    Jess, how is your kitchen tap performing. Have it tagged on ebay. Kitchen looks great.
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    Finally nagged Beloved and got the sign put up. Supposed to remind people to shut the cupboard doors!
  • mefor
    9 years ago

Looks good there, that was a great purchase :)

• Nancy Walton
    9 years ago

Ooh, I like the curtains! Very nice, Jesse.

• Carolina
    9 years ago

Hooray for the sign having found the perfect place :-)

• Kerem kilicay
    6 years ago

we bought these beautiful colourful hexagon porcelain tiles for out kitchen walls and floors and everyone is really impressed with them. here is a photo from their site

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Here here. They've all been removed now...........idiots.

• Daisy England
    5 years ago

MATHS they’re were dozens of the posts. I reported numerous as Spam but there were just too many to report so emailed the powers that be. As you rightly say, idiots.

• E D
    5 years ago

They're at it again, annoyingly.

• Victoria
    5 years ago

I’ve reported as spam

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    I wish Houzz would give administrator privileges to some of us regulars so that we could get rid of them quickly
  • Victoria
    5 years ago
    Good idea, never happen.
  • E D
    5 years ago

We have the ‘power’ to flag these spams. That seems to work pretty well.

Not sure if that’s possible in the Houzz app though. I normally use the web version.

• Victoria
    5 years ago
    Only works on website, not in app
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.