ulvikap

Need help designing my daughters room

Peaceful Mind
9 years ago
My daughter is 2.5 years old and we moved to new house. I have picked light color for her room. I bought white furniture. I need help in arranging furniture and designing her room with pink and green color. She likes flowers and butterflies. So would like to use flowers and butterflies theme.
Please advice.
Thank you

Comments (33)

• Peaceful Mind
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I only put the headboard to see where do I need to put bed and chest.
  • chanitroy
    9 years ago
    please post more angles of the room, so we could see if this is a good layout
  • PRO
    Hooplaroom
    9 years ago
    Hi,
    You have a beautiful hardwood floor. I would remove the lion rug and buy a bigger one. I attach some pictures of some of our products but really flowers and butterflies, you can find many more designs on our website www.hooplaroom.com. It could be nice to change the dresser knobs and put butterfly ones and have the butterfly border on one of the walls. Don't overdo it though. Too many butterflies could be too much!
  • adigold
    9 years ago
    Love the floor!
    I suggest you create a little sitting area in the corner using something like this-
  • adigold
    9 years ago
    Also, try hanging shelfs (they can be painted in any color you like). It would be a huge upgrade :)
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    please post pictures of the other walls in the room.
  • L
    9 years ago
    Swap out the knobs on the dresser for some crystal ones.
    Dress the bed in butterfly or floral bedding.
    Add a large rug to pick up the colours in the bedding - maybe go for a geometric design?
    Not sure what the windows are like but again dress those.
    Add a mirror above the dresser or maybe some long wall mounted ones along one wall like a ballet barre.
    Maybe stick on a wall sticker depending how fussy the room looks with the bedding and curtains. Something fairly plain might work better.
  • rona7770
    9 years ago
    The wall colour and furniture too similar so I would cool down the walls with a pretty pale grey so the furniture stands out.
  • anks_ch
    9 years ago
    :)
  • Olayinka Ebony
    9 years ago
    Nine things
  • User
    9 years ago
    Since her taste is likely to change as she grows older, I would choose decor that is easy to change out. For example, peel & stick butterflies and flowers for the wall. Fun pillows and bed covers and window coverings. Choose a wall paint color that will last into her elementary school years. As for how to arrange the furniture, it is hard to say without seeing the size of the room and placement of doors and windows.

Daisy Butterfly 2-Sheet IdeaStix Accents Peel and Stick · More Info

Butterfly Splash Pillow · More Info
  • jh77
    9 years ago
    I like what Rebecca Mitchell is showing you. I agree with the comments that say to keep the walls and furniture more neutral and add in the personality with items that are easily changed as her taste changes. The idea of switching the dresser hardware is cute. What I did in one apartment was to find a set of very graphic sheets to hang like curtains as a backdrop for the bed. I got a matching dust ruffle to go around the bed. It looked like the flowers were cascading around the bed. i got more complements on that room when the apartment was being showed, including people asking how I'd done it. If you can't find a design you like you can get fabric paint and paint the sheets or pillowcases with a design you like. It could be a fun project that will really make the room "hers."
  • malyelhi
    9 years ago
    Paint the walls blue, like the sky! There are a lot of room themes that go with blue. Add some butterflies, and some soft spaces. Flower pillows, etc. You can make it a little fairy den!
  • PRO
    Curtain Call
    9 years ago
    I would suggest putting blackout honeycomb shades on the windows with a flower and/or butterfly print valance over it. You can use the same fabric for the bed cover or a coordinating solid bedcover with decorative pillows or pillow shams in the same fabric as the valances. I'm suggesting the blackout shades because I've had a number of customers with young children who find that their kids wake up at dawn's first light or have difficulty napping.
  • uberv
    9 years ago
    Why all the recommendations for neutral walls? Its only paint and a small bedroom can be repainted in a weekend. Kids are tough on walls. They get banged up by the little ones and covered with posters by the older ones.

As an infant my daughter had neutral walls and navy accents. As a toddler we added a girls playing dress up border at chair rail height and put screen molding along the edges to keep little fingers from peeling it off. He bedding and window covering choice was pastels. Below the paper we painted stripes. At the end of grade school the room became light blue with a bunk bed futon combo to go with the desk. The accents reflected her new taste - navy again. Who would have guessed? It is now pale gray with a blue ceiling and bold green seatbelt chairs that were featured in the hunger games. This is her living space and the guestroom has become her sleeping space. With all the grandparents gone. It was an unused space.

Kids go through stages that a few new accessories won't accommodate. Toys get replaced by books and games. Toddler tables morph into desks for schoolwork. I know we all get nostalgic for when they were little but we cannot keep them from growing and changing. In fact, its our job to help them do that. Make a room she will love now and for a few more years and plan to update it when she's a tween and then a teen.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Green is my favorite color and I love decorating with nature in mind. I also like to incorporate wall decals for white walls. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40186124/ These pink flowers would look fabulous arranged on your daughter's neutral wall.
    This rug is very playful with color and would bring a lot of color to the room:
    Loloi Barcelona Shag BS-01 7'7" x 10'5" Rainbow Rug · More Info

You may decide to paint an accent wall.

I would incorporate curtains with flowers, leaves, trees or feathers on them such as these:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/545780048563404501/

Hope I helped.
  • grandmanet
    9 years ago
    I would suggest that you look at the Target website, as their bedding for little girls is cute and reasonable. You can get flowers or butterflies or whatever, and since it is reasonable, she doesn't have to keep the same bedding for years. Many times there is "matching" wall art to go with the bedding too. My granddaughter is 5, and still loves her flower bedding that she has had for 3 years now.
  • Jen
    9 years ago
    Not sure if you are looking for an area rug but Dash and Albert has great ones that can tie together the colors you want to use.
  • P O
    9 years ago
    Congrats on the new house! I would add maybe butterfly pink knobs to the dresser! Could be cute and add some color! Good luck!
  • alicimw
    9 years ago
    you probably have a tonne of ideas by now, but this is one of my favourite websites for fabric wall decals, http://www.lovemae.com.au//fabric-wall-stickers.html
    i probably should be an advocate for this company but they come off very easily without taking the paint off and my daughter who is now 3 absolutely loved the concept of placing the trees, animals, butterflies and mushrooms where she wanted them (are reusable so can move them later), because they come in pieces you can be as creative as you want to be with the designs. good luck and have fun with colour, she will love the stimulation (we kept the walls and furniture white and then added the decals and rug for colour (easy to change when ready).
  • PRO
    Ferris Zoe Design
    9 years ago
    give her lots of colors, shapes, textures, sounds, etc. observe which ones she always grabs, literally and figuratively. then get lots more of that for her. don't think about how to decorate or design her room. don't spend a lot of money. let her figure it out. that's how you spark a child's creativity. but most important of all, don't "design" her room. make the furniture arrangement safe; that's all that counts. what i see on your photo above looks like it's ready to topple over. if you teach your children "how to fish," you'll never have to feed them.

Picture Below Caption, "Jared at 2.5 years old."
    Jared attended M.I.T., became a Mechanical Engineer & Product Designer
    Question: "Who'da thunk?"
    Answer: "His mom"
  • PRO
    Post Frame Accessories
    9 years ago
    With any child's room it is important to consider that they may have a change in interests as they grow older. That being said, for most younger kids, they like a room that is fun and kid friendly. Depending on your budget(s) you can do something amazing for them now and change it when they are older. I have included a picture that is likely on the extreme end, but would probably make any younger child giddy with excitement.
  • PRO
    Kimberley Johnson~Zina & Co. Real Estate
    9 years ago
    Cute theme! I suggest you paint each drawer of her chest a different color, with alternating with green and pink. Then, paint the rainbow section of her headboard with the same pink and green. Since you want the room walls light and not too colored, spend the money on a large area rug with full on color, like nthentherwaslau suggested. I found 2 on overstock that are not expensive. I'd suggest a pattern, so if she spills paint (my daughter) or magic marker (my son), it won't show much.

Also, grandmanet's suggestion of inexpensive butterfly bedding will be great, because in 3-4 years, she'll hate butterflies and insist on something new! If your background colors are neutral, it'll be easier to change the bedding.

I'd also get on etsy and find a set of table and chairs with a butterfly pattern painted on them. Tons of creative painters who can create magic! Every little girl needs a place to draw, color, cut, glue, etc. her butterflies into her own artwork! Add a cork strip along one wall, so she can display her stuff.

Pick out a curtain color that is light and airy also. Target has tons of pastel curtains, as does Overstock. Maybe get 2 panel sets, and place the pinks on the outside of each side of the window, and the green on the inside. It will really showcase them! Even add crystals to the tops of the panels at the rod so they sparkle in the sunlight. :)

My final suggestion that will MAKE this room is to go online, ( I found www.thebutterflygrove.com ) and buy a plethora of hanging butterflies of different sizes and suspend them from the ceiling with clear pushpins. Her room will be magical. Your budget may limit the number, but if budget is no issue, go for full on butterflies all over the room. If it is, then make a rectangle hovering above her ceiling, and maybe outline them with simple molding on the ceiling to "corral" the butterflies! It will be SWEET!

Enjoy her; they don't stay little long! Please let us know what you decide with your updated photos.
  • PRO
    Designs by Cori Ann, LLC
    9 years ago
    Flower Decorations Fake Hanging Flowers Wall Ceiling Baby Nursery, Pink Purple G · More Info
  • sensiblegal
    9 years ago
    I totally disagree with any advice to be "neutral" especially as it concerns wall color. Paint the walls pink if that's what she wants. A very pretty, feminine, little-girl pink. She's only 2.5 years old. By the time she wants the color changed the walls will NEED repainting anyway. My mother painted my room pink when I was about 8 years old and it felt so amazing to me. People don't like using pink because they feel like it is cliche but for a child, nothing has been overdone yet. Pink is new to your daughter and it is her room and her experience. Let her have her beautiful childish room that will make her feel excited and like it is really hers. She can have neutral, sophisticated, adult colors in her room when she is an adult.

I too have wood floors. I found a very nice soft green color of foam mat at BJ's for my daughter's room. They protect the floor and look very nice with the pinks and apricots that are in her room. I will try to post a picture later as her room also uses butterflies, pink, and green.
  • PRO
    Curtain Call
    9 years ago
    This all reminds me of what we did when we moved my oldest daughter (now 25) to a larger room as we were expecting our second child. She was about 2 1/2. We put pink floral wallpaper on the top part of the walls with a matching not quite solid pink on the bottom and a matching border in between, which was big back then. She loved it.
  • quinciettajane
    9 years ago
    Ask your daughter what color she wants. Show her colors. At two years old, when we were lying down to read and she'd then have naptime my two year old prayed, Dear Jesus Please help my Mommy paint my room pink. ".
    Needless to say that began my starting point.
    In your case, the colors are so vibrant and fun!!! A bookcase she can reach. A low row of photos taped on the wall at her level if family is out of town. Apps like aviary have the borders. My niece did this to help her two year old remember loved ones far away. A mirror on the door. This can be a five dollar one from a discount store you spraypaint the edge to match the decor. But oh how little ones love mirrors to play dress up and check themselves out!! Fun doorknobs in the colors Are you using primary?? Would be fun to mix up and use different colors for each drawer. To teach her management organization skills plus colors. Frame her art. My daughter had her son paint with her acrylic paints for artists so the colors were vivid. Give her the colors in her room. My daughter had her two year old paint several sheets and then cut pieces from that to frame. It looked great. Best to you!!!!
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.